Innovations in Food and Agricultural Science and Technology (I-FAST) Prize Competition
The aim of the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) I-FAST prize competition (the “I-FAST Competition” or the “Competition”) is to develop and implement the Innovations in Food and Agricultural Science and Technology (I-FAST) Program. USDA NIFA in partnership with the National Science Foundation (NSF) Innovation Corps (I-Corps) to provide entrepreneurship training to USDA NIFA grantees under this I-FAST program.
The USDA NIFA I-FAST Competition prize purse will be a maximum of $400,000. The prize purse will be divided among up to Eight (8) teams for a potential $50,000 prize for each team. Prize purse funds are required to be used by winning teams to fully participate in the NSF I-Corps program curriculum. USDA NIFA reserves the right to award less than the maximum number of available prizes.
SUBMISSION PROCESS FOR PARTICIPANTS:
The Competition will have a two-phase selection process. Teams initially will submit a pre-application. From the pre-applications, USDA NIFA and NSF I-CORPs staff will conduct interviews with the teams and select the teams that will be invited to submit a full application. From the full applications, USDA NIFA will select the winning team(s).
Competition Submission Period – Pre-Application and Evaluation Interviews:
- Pre-Application Open Period begins August 3, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. ET and ends September 8, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. ET. USDA NIFA’s receiving computer set to Eastern Time is the official time keeping device for the Competition.
- Pre-Application Evaluation and Interviews: September 11, 2017 to September 14, 2017
- Full Application Open Period begins September 15, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. ET and ends October 6, 2017 at 12:00 a.m. ET. USDA NIFA’s receiving computer set to Eastern Time is the official timekeeping device for the Competition.
- Final Evaluation and Judging – Full Application: October 9, 2017 to October 11, 2017
- Verification of Winners: October 13, 2017
- Announcement of Winner(s): October 17, 2017
- NSF I-Corps Cohort Training for Winner(s): Winning team(s) will need to be available to travel to and attend one of the following NSF I-Corps training sessions with the following dates and locations:
- Washington, DC